When was the last time you had dessert for breakfast? You could go the traditional route and enjoy waffles, pancakes or crepes. Or you could just whip up a smoothie, throw some boosters in that smoothie, and feel good about eating a highly nutrition “dessert” for breakfast. That’s exactly how I feel about this strawberries and cream smoothie that’s been rocking my world lately.
Why a smoothie?
If you know me, you know I’m a smoothie addict and I like to enjoy my smoothie every morning. Here are some of the main reasons why smoothies are my go-to:
- They are easy. You just need a few key ingredients to make them, and they take no longer than 5 to 10 minutes to make.
- They’re portable. If you’re like me and leave the house early every morning, smoothies are a fantastic thing to bring with you. Either you can drink it on your way to work (note: multitasking and eating isn’t good for digestion so if you’re driving keep the smoothie packed), or you can eat it when you get to your destination.
- They’re incredibly versatile. You can make SO MANY different flavour combinations. Green smoothie? Fruit smoothie? Citrus smoothie? Apple pie smoothie? Fat-filled smoothie? Antioxidant-rich smoothie? Protein smoothie? The list goes on.
- You can hide vegetables in your smoothie. Greens (spinach, kale, lettuce), cauliflower (steamed then frozen), zucchini – you can add any of these to your smoothie and oftentimes the taste won’t change. One of these is hidden in this smoothie right here, and I promise you wouldn’t even know.
- You can BOOST your smoothies with so many amazing powders, products and nutrients. This one is boosted with something called Baobab powder, which derived from an antioxidant-filled and fibre-rich fruit.
What’s Baobab Powder?
Baobab powder comes from the baobab fruit, and has a number of health benefits!
First of all, it’s rich in a variety of vitamins and minerals. It contains a good dose of vitamin C, magnesium, iron, and potassium.
It’s also got a high fibre content, which is fantastic when added to a smoothie. Fibre is essential for gut health and digestion – in fact, women need a minimum of 25g of fibre per day. I actually aim for closer to 40g in order to feel my best and stay regular. Because of its high fibre content, it can also contribute to feelings of fullness and curb cravings. Lastly, the fibre acts as a prebiotic, feeding our healthy gut bacteria. We need a good amount of prebiotics in our diet for gut health.
Baobab powder has tons of antioxidants and polyphenols, which protect your cells from free radical damage. They act to reduce inflammation in the body, which can contribute to a variety of long-term health conditions like cancer, heard disease, and more.
I got my Baobab Powder from Healthy Planet – for just over $10 a bag, it’s super affordable and is a great booster to add to my smoothies in the morning.
Strawberries & Cream Smoothie
Alright, now that I’ve done babbling, here is the recipe just for you!
- 1/3 cup strawberries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup steamed, then frozen cauliflower (2-3 florets)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Canadian Protein New Zealand Whey)
- 1 tbsp Baobab Powder (I used EcoIdeas from Healthy Planet)
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- Add water or nut milk for desired consistency. If you like it thick, add less.
- Add all ingredients into a high speed blender, and blend!
- Serve immediately.
- Vary the amount of each of the ingredients to get your desired consistency and taste profile.
- Make it vegan or dairy-free by choosing a vegan protein powder - I like Genuine Health's fermented vegan protein powder in vanilla.
This post was sponsored by Healthy Planet Canada. Thank you for continuously supporting this website and my wish to share holistic nutrition tips and tricks to optimize your health.Follow