If you know me well, you know that I’ve been making smoothies for years. You also know that I’m obsessed with chocolate and raw cacao, so this raw cacao chocolate smoothie is one of my go-to combinations!
Smoothies are one of my go-to breakfasts for SO many reasons! Are you on the smoothie bandwagon? If not, here are some of the reasons why they’re my favourite morning meal:
- Amazing source of energy first thing in the morning.
- There are so many different flavours and combinations that every smoothie can taste different.
- You can hide vegetables in your smoothie without realizing it.
- You can balance your blood sugar for the day by ensuring your smoothie has lots of healthy fats (avocado, nuts, seeds) and protein (protein powders, collagen, nuts, oats).
- You can boost up your smoothie with super-nutritious superfoods and powders, like these Pranin Organic smoothie boosters.
- You can have chocolate for breakfast, and I’m going to show you how with this recipe.
Like I said – I’ve always been a fan of chocolate, and since falling down the rabbit-hole of healthy eating and nutrition, I’ve realized how amazing raw cacao is for our health!
I wrote an entire post on the benefits of dark chocolate here, but here’s a quick recap on why I love raw cacao:
- A great source of magnesium, which is responsible for over 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It’s also calming and relaxing for the nervous system and our muscles, and is important for a healthy heart and brain.
- High in antioxidants that fight free radicals. Free radicals damage cells and lead to inflammation and diseases like cancer.
- Can boost your mood! Raw cacao can boost our serotonin levels which makes us feel happy and boost feelings of wellbeing.
Alright, so now you know some of the reasons why I love raw cacao. Why not put it in a smoothie to boost your day right from the beginning?
This recipe includes Pranin Organic’s Raw Cacao Smoothie Booster. You can make it without the booster if you want, but if you’re a smoothie fan I encourage you try this booster because not only does it taste AMAZING, but it has a whole slew of other nutrient-dense and healthy ingredients like spirulina, moringa and holy basil!
The raw cacao smoothie booster contains 5g of protein, 24 different vitamins and minerals, and 6g of fibre. In addition to being a great source of magnesium, it also has high amounts of vitamin B6 (good for energy and metabolism), selenium (antioxidant, great for thyroid function), and chromium (great for sugar cravings).
And it does all this while making your morning smoothie chocolatey and delicious. If you’re interested in purchasing the Raw Cacao smoothie booster, you can do it here. Hint! Use coupon code “KellyMNutrition” for 20% off your purchase!
Ready for the recipe?
- 1 Banana
- 1 Pranin Organic Raw Cacao smoothie booster (or 1 tbsp raw cacao powder if you don't have the booster)
- 1 serving of collagen (or vegetarian protein powder if vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tsp maca
- 1+ cup coconut milk or alternative dairy-free nut milk (add more for desired consistency)
- Add all ingredients into a high speed blender. Mix and serve immediately.
- Top with delicious toppings, like cacao nibs (pictured), coconut flakes or even granola.